SMC welcomes qualified applicants with no discrimination towards their gender, age, cultural, ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds. Distance learning candidates are admitted on a continuous basis. Students from all over the world shall be admitted to SMC programmes under one of three categories:
- Degree Seeking (Full Admit): The student is fully admitted in a specified program of study. Admission at SMC sets minimum criteria which have been designed to identify applicants who have sound academic potential and who show creativity, critical thinking, social and moral values, evidence of English language proficiency and strong motivation.
- Admit With Conditions: This status is usually granted when the applicant has not met all requirements for Full Admit status. The student is allowed to enroll for a limited number of courses during which any outstanding requirements must be met as specified in the letter of admission. Failure to meet requirements may result in suspension from the program.
- Non-Degree Seeking: Students who pursue graduate study with no intention of obtaining a degree and include students pursuing courses for certification, licensure or professional development. Students seeking non-degree status must submit an application for admission and submit an official transcript indicating completion of a baccalaureate degree. Non-degree seeking students may later apply for admission to a degree program. Acceptance will be based upon meeting all admission requirements. In order to be applied towards the degree, credits earned as a non-degree student must meet the requirements of the department in which the student plans to pursue graduate studies.
Bachelor Program Admission Criteria
- High School diploma or equivalent (e.g. Secondary School leaving Certificate, Matriculation Certificate, Matura, Abitur, International Baccalaureate)
- Quality personal statement
Applicants in possession of qualifications that give access to universities in their home country are likely to be accepted provided that their qualifications can be assessed to be of comparable standard to those required by the SMC and related academic regulations. Each application shall be carefully evaluated on a per-case basis.
Master Program Admission Criteria
- Undergraduate degree from an internationally recognized academic institution
- GPA Requirement from their bachelor program from an accredited institution: minimum of 3.0
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in middle management or higher
- High quality personal essay
Doctorate Program Admission Criteria
- Graduate degree from an internationally recognized academic institution
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in an executive/ leadership/ managerial position involving independent decision-making
- GPA Requirement in their master program from an accredited institution: minimum of 3.0
- Scholarly personal essay
Proficiency in English
The below minimum criteria apply to all academic programs at SMC.
TOEFL score of 550 points or higher (or 213 on the computer based test) for non-native speakers, or equivalent. Applicants who have completed a minimum of 2 years in a full time academic institution in an English-speaking environment are exempted. The personal statement will also be an assessment of English proficiency.
Admission at SMC sets minimum criteria which have been designed to identify applicants who have sound academic potential and who show creativity, critical thinking, social and moral values, evidence of English language proficiency and strong motivation. Next to meeting the respective program criteria, the admission process can further take the following criteria into consideration:
- Academic background of the student in terms of class ranks, merits, etc.
- Quality of the educational institution attended
- Social and voluntary work
- Work experience and position
- General conduct
- Recommendations from the school/employer
- Overall assessment of ability to integrate in SMC
- Ability to work in teams
- Possible contribution to the enhancement of the values and reputation of SMC
Preference is given to those applicants who satisfy the maximum number of these criteria. In the case that applicants do not meet the admission criteria discussed earlier, SMC Administration might recommend courses or alternative paths for qualification enhancement.