As the data controller of your personal data, SMC Education Group is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), effective from 25 May 2018.
This privacy notice outlines how SMC Education Group (also referred to as “we”, “us” or “our”) collects, uses and shares your personal data. It also explains your rights regarding the personal data we hold. The privacy notice relates to our processing of personal data of prospective students (also referred to as “you” or “your”) of SMC Education Group for marketing purposes.
What personal data we collect
We may collect details such as:
- your name, email address, telephone number (and other contact details if known) as well as other details such as date of birth, postal address, residency status, nationality, ethnicity, level of study, your areas of interest, educational history, CV, personal references, passport details, visa information, criminal record declarations, and entry test and interview information if required
- personal information about disabilities and dietary requirements to help us accommodate you at events
How we collect your personal data
There are numerous ways in which SMC Education Group may collect your personal data. These include:
- when you register your interest in SMC Education Group via our website
- when you communicate with us through our website, via email or telephone, or in person, eg when making an enquiry or requesting a prospectus
- when you share your personal data with us at an external higher education fair or event, such as those organised by third parties or those taking place internationally
- when you respond to one of our marketing campaigns on a third party website (including social media channels) and provide your personal data
- when you make an application to study at SMC Education Group or one of our partner institutions
We store any data you may have provided to us as an enquirer, on your application, throughout your studies with us or at any point after graduation.
How we use your information
We may use your personal data for a number of reasons such as:
- marketing and recruitment – for example, we may use your personal data to send you information about SMC Education Group, the subject area(s) you may be interested in, details about upcoming events, reminders about important deadlines, eg application deadlines, and other relevant services
- events – for example, to ensure we accommodate your requirements (eg those relating to a disability or dietary needs)
- to assess your application and create your student record (once you have applied to us)
- to provide you with career development support (once you have applied to us)
How we share your information with others (our partners)
We may share some of your personal data with relevant third parties. This will be for the purposes referred to in this privacy notice. This may include disclosing limited personal data to employees, agents and contractors where there is a legitimate reason to do so, including:
- external marketing agencies, print suppliers or fulfilment houses we work with to send you relevant marketing communications
- third parties who provide us with essential software that is used to store and process your personal data. The School will only transfer personal data to the receiving organisation who has provided they have adequate safeguards.
- internal and external auditors
- organisations with an interest in tracking applicant and student progress and attendance, including student sponsors
- government departments or agencies where we have a statutory obligation to provide information
- third parties conducting surveys for the purposes of gaining feedback about our marketing or events
Changes to your personal data
It is important that you tell us promptly about any changes to the information we hold about you, including your contact details.
How long your information is kept for
We do not retain your personal data for longer than is required in order to provide you with relevant information or services unless you request us to do otherwise. We may retain some information indefinitely for archive purposes and to support your lifelong relationship with SMC Education Group.
Should you choose to stop receiving marketing communications, SMC Education Group is obliged to opt you out within 28 days.
The General Data Protection Regulation gives you the rights outlined below:
- to obtain access to, and copies of, the personal data that we hold about you
- to require that we stop processing your personal data on your request
- to require that we do not send you marketing communications
- to require SMC Education Group to make corrections to the personal data that we hold about you, if this is incorrect
- to require that we erase your personal data
- to require that we restrict our data processing activities (and, where our processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal)
- to receive from the School the personal data we hold about you, which you have provided to us, in a reasonable and intelligible format, including for the purpose of you transmitting that personal data to another data controller
- to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you have given your consent and you wish to withdraw it, please contact the School administration using the contact details provided on this site. Please note that where our processing of your personal data relies on your consent and where you then withdraw that consent, we may not be able to provide all or some aspects of our services to you and/or it may affect the provision of those services.
This privacy statement was designed to be as clear and concise as possible – it does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of SMC Education Group’s collection and use of personal data.
Copyright and Disclaimer NOTICE
- By viewing the SMC Education Group website the user is deemed to consent to all terms and conditions set out below. If you have any questions regarding the terms and conditions, you should contact the School administration.
- The School reserves the right at all times to vary, change, alter, amend, add to or remove any of these items. By browsing the website you accept that you are bound by the current terms and conditions and notices and we therefore recommend that you check these each time you visit the site.
- All copyright and other intellectual property rights in any material contained in this website is either owned by the School or has been licenced to the School by the rights owners. The website contains trademarks, including the School’s name. Use of these trademarks is forbidden unless prior written permission has been obtained from the owner of the trademark.
- The user may access any part of the site and download or copy material (by printing off individual pages on to paper) or download material onto disc (but not on to any server or other device connected to a network) for personal non-commercial use only. The School shall retain the copyright in such material or where the material has been licenced to the School, by the rights owners of the material.
- Links to the School website are not permitted other than to the Home Page except with prior written permission. Links to the School website from within a frameset definition are not permitted except with prior permission.
- You may not remove any copyright, trademark or intellectual property notices contained in the original material from any material downloaded or copied from the website.
- Copying, distributing or any use of the materials contained on the web site for any commercial purpose is prohibited.
- You may not create a database by systematically downloading substantial parts of the website.
- The content of the website is for general information only and does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation upon which a specific decision should be made. The School has done its best to ensure the accuracy and currency of the materials contained on its website but excludes any warranty express or implied as to quality, accuracy, timeliness, completeness or fitness for a particular purpose of the material contained this website. The School will not be liable for any claims, penalties, loss, damages or expenses arising from the use or the inability to use the website or from any unauthorised access or alteration to the website by a third party. This clause shall not exclude liability for death or personal injury directly caused by the negligence of the School.
- The School accepts no responsibility for loss or damage that may arise from reliance on information or advice contained on its website.
- The School website includes links to external websites. These links are provided to help you find additional information quickly and easily. The School accepts no responsibility for the content of these websites and specifically excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law all liability that may arise with respect to or as a result of such material causing damage, costs, injury or financial loss of any kind.
- Whilst the School website may from time to time contain advertising material, the School does not endorse or accept any liability for any of the products or services so advertised, or for any error or inaccuracy in the advertisements. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion on the website complies with all relevant laws.
- Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to the School.
- The School reserves the rights at any time to suspend or terminate your access to or use of the website.
- These Terms & Conditions of use shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with Maltese law. The courts of Malta shall have exclusive jurisdictions in relation to any claim, dispute or other matters arising therefrom.
- For the exclusive benefit of the School, it shall retain the right to bring proceedings in the Courts of the country of residence of any user of the website.
- We may intercept and monitor all communications with the School.
- If any provision of these terms and conditions is found to be invalid by any Court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of that provision will not effect the validity of the remaining provisions of these terms and conditions which shall continue to have full force and effect.
- The failure by the School to exercise any right or remedy under these terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that right or remedy.
When you use our websites, a number of cookies identified with our domain name might be stored in your web browser. Your consent to this is assumed in your continued use of the site. Instructions on how to delete cookies from your browser can be found at the bottom of this page.
Name and functionality:
Google Analytics cookies
As of April 2020, SMC Education Group may implement certain Google Analystics functionality.
Google Analytics will track how people use our website, and this helps us to make sure our content is relevant and up-to-date. When a tracking script is be loaded, cookies with names beginning “_ga” or “__utm” are set by Google. The data they hold is sent to directly to Google.
|_ga, _gat||A random unique number or string of letters and numbers to identify your browser, the times and dates that you interacted with the site recently and the marketing materials or referring pages that led you to the site.||Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (‘Google’), to help us see how our website is used. In doing so information about your use of our website may be transmitted to Google and stored on servers in the United States.The data collected by Google Analytics is used to analyse how frequently the same people revisit the University website, how the website is found (from advertising or referring websites), and which pages are most frequently viewed. This information is combined with data from thousands of other users to create an overall picture of website use, and is never identified individually or personally and is not linked to any other information we store about you.||The longest lasting cookie expires 2 years after your last visit to the website. Others are deleted 6 months, 30 minutes and the moment you close your browser.|
While we anonymise or ask for your consent to use Google Analytics some third-party services may use Google Analytics and collect some personal data such as your IP address.
|A random unique number or string of letters and numbers to identify your browser, the times and dates that you interacted with the site recently and the marketing materials or referring pages that led you to the site.||Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”), to help us see how our website is used. In doing so information about your use of our website, including your IP address, may be transmitted to Google and stored on servers in the United States. The data collected by Google Analytics is used to analyse how frequently the same people revisit the University website, how the website is found (from advertising or referring websites), and which pages are most frequently viewed. This information is combined with data from thousands of other users to create an overall picture of website use, and is never identified individually or personally and is not linked to any other information we store about you.||The longest lasting cookie expires 2 years after your last visit to the website. Others are deleted 6 months, 30 minutes and the moment you close your browser.|
Our website currently does not use any third party plug-ins or software that relies on cookies.
Browser cookie settings
Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Advanced (to override automatic cookie handling, accept/reject third party cookies, etc)
DEPUTY CEO, COO, CLO
Courtnie is a business operations experts with over a decade to in suffered alteration.